Spruce Run Reservoir is usually wet-suit legal under USAT rules (typically high 60’s to low 70’s), and is out and back 1/2 mile. The Reservoir is clear, cool with a wide sand beach and has a mean depth of about 40 feet.
An award is presented to the first athlete (male and female) out of the water.
13.6 MILES (22 KM)
The Skylands bike course is challenging, well marked and manned course. Volunteers direct/cheer for bikers and the NJ State Police directs traffic. Rolling terrain with a significant lung and leg burner can be found about mid-way through. There’s also a fast downhill with S curves through the roundabout back towards the park. Olympic completes this course twice for a total of 27 miles.
- Left out of the park onto Van Syckles Rd (very slight uphill…then a fast downhill) (3.1 km/1.9 mi)
- Right (sharp) onto Charlestown Rd-County Rd 635 (76 km/.1 mi)
- Left (only after 100 meters) onto Van Syckles Rd. (flat) (1.9 km/1.2 mi)
- Right onto Route 173-W (false flat…slight uphill) (1.1 km/.7 mi)
- At the traffic circle, continue straight to stay on Route 173-W (110 m/.1 mi)
- Right onto Strotz Rd. (initial downhill, then start of significant uphill) (1.8 km/1.1 mi)
- Right onto Norton Church Rd. (290 m/.2 mi)
- Left onto Mountain View Rd. (start of a very significant uphill…some will walk the bike) (1.7 km/1.1 mi)
- Left onto Mine Rd. (rolling terrain) (2.8 km/1.8 mi)
- Turn right to stay on Mine Rd. (300 m/.2 mi)
- Slight Left onto Route 173 (downside of Jugtown Mountain…significant downhill…45mph+ possible. Caution S curves at the bottom) (2.2 km/1.4 mi)
- Left onto Van Syckles Rd (back toward the Park…flat) (1.9 km/1.2 mi)
- Right onto Charlestown Rd-County Rd 635 (76 m/249 ft)
- Left onto Van Syckles Rd (considerable upgrade initially, then slight downhill) (3.1 km/1.9 mi)
- Right into Spruce Run Park and transition area (450 m/.3 mi
- Water Station at exit of Transition
The 5k run course is contained entirely within the confines of the Spruce Run Recreation area. It has separate out and back portions, with three opportunities for water. Most of the course is on a paved road with some grass and gravel paths. The 5k is best described as flat (minor rolls or changes in grade).
Triathlon Run Map (please note, run course is is marked with black arrows and blue arrows for the for bike course)